Learning Mathematics creates opportunities and enriches the lives of all Australians.
The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics provides students with essential mathematical skills and knowledge in Number & Algebra, Measurement & Geometry, and Statistics & Probability. It develops the numeracy capabilities that all students need in their personal, work and civic life, and provides the fundamentals on which mathematical specialties and professional applications of mathematics are built.
The Australian Curriculum: Mathematics aims to instill in students an appreciation of the elegance and power of mathematical reasoning. Mathematical ideas have evolved across all cultures over thousands of years, and are constantly developing.
Our Mathematics curriculum focuses on:
- developing increasingly sophisticated and refined mathematical understanding;
- logical reasoning;
- analytical thought; and
- problem-solving skills.
These capabilities enable students to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematical strategies to make informed decisions and to solve problems efficiently.
We endeavour to enrich students' mathematical experiences by:
- Offering extracurricular opportunities such as Mathematics and Pi Day (π Day) competitions;
- Using technology in the classroom via a range of iPad apps, computer labs and graphic calculators. Digital technologies are facilitating this expansion of ideas and provide access to new tools for continuing mathematical exploration and invention;
- Running hands-on activities using our range of mathematical manipulatives and equipment;
- Personalising the content and pace of delivery to best accommodate student learning needs; and
- Having a professional and supportive Mathematics teaching team who work together to provide the best educational outcomes for our students.
Year 9 and 10
At MacKillop Catholic College we offer an engaging and flexible Mathematics Program as well as Mathematics Methods Foundation and Mathematics Methods classes for Year 9 and 10 students who have a keen interest in further mathematical studies.
Assessment and Reporting
This curriculum reports to the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics with regular assessment in the three strands: Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry and Statistics and Probability. Students in Years 9 and 10 should expect to be assessed by formal examination.Australian Curriculum – Mathematics